Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chapter 4- the deep thoughts continue....

READ TO SELF

So I love the notion of gradual release of responsibility and the way they explain it.  The key, it seems, is to recognize that you never ever fully "release" the whole responsibility to the children.  There has to be a constant, timed correctly, way of monitoring their independence with the strategy.

I know it is hard at times to see connections in PS, K, and 1st with reading ideas in books like this one.  I did, however, have an a-ha moment when they spelled out:
Read and talk about the pictures
Read the words
Retell a previously read book
That sounds exactly like what is done in early childhood classes as the goal is to acclimate the children to print, develop an interest in books, and deepen concepts of print.

Read to Self I-Chart
As I read this part I made lots of text to self connections.  This lesson sounds so much like a SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) lesson.  SIOP is a research-based strategy for designing lessons to make content comprehensible for ELLs and other learners with limited vocabulary.  She set the objective.  She provided a visual.  She used the LEA (Language Experience Approach) which is another ELL strategy to post the thoughts verbatim on the chart paper next to the child's name.  Also, focusing on what it LOOKS like AND SOUNDS like is crucial for addressing brain-based learning. 

3-minute start.....have you tried it?  Want to share??  Checking back in is a great way to "celebrate" what went well and quickly "fix" what didn't.

The goal is to read for 30-45 minutes in Read to Self.  That is a goal that takes lots of stamina-building practice sessions for sure!

6 comments:

  1. I think the "Read to Self" part can be the most challenging for some of my students because they often have a hard time finding books that are the "right fit" and books they are interested in. I am hoping to plan some time into their reading lessons with me to reinforce the concept of "three ways to read a book" so they can be more successful with this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the paragraph about the kindergartner reflecting upon what helped him to become a better reader he answered that when he did the Read to Self he worked on accuracy, practiced every day and now he can read. How simple and how profound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first way to read a book (read and talk about the pictures) is the most important way to read a book for preschool students because it is a way they can do by themselves. Every one of my students can look at the pictures in the book and tell me something that is going. The second way (read the words) might come to a few at the end of the year but not all of them will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ann Bitter. Selecting "Good Fit Books" can be challening. I have to reinforce this concept over and over with the students that I see.

    I like the concept of reading a book 3 ways. I believe this sends the message to early readers that they are still readers (even if they can't read the words in text). Much of the focus in early grades is on developing concepts about print (book handling/directionality/the concept that print contains meaning). This can be done through reading pictures and/or retelling a previsouly heard story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking ahead at chapter 5, I liked the introduction techniques used with Read to Self and Listen to Reading. Using the I Chart seems to be a way to include and motivate the class about the task at hand. Listen to Reading is the component of the Daily Five that enables students to listen to CD's or tapes (or prehaps Tumble Books or a Teacher). Read to Someone helps children learn to collaborate and be flexible with peers. The students in my room, liked the concept of using EEKK to read with a partner. It has helped cut back on noice.

    ReplyDelete