Monday, March 14, 2011

CAFE Appendix pp.130-150

Well, when I created this blog schedule last September, it seemed like a great idea to blog about the 60 or so pages at the end that are full of forms and schedules.  I am now not quite in agreement with myself :)

Here are my take aways for these 20 pages :)
  1. If it really takes up to 26 days to Launch CAFE, would it be helpful to work with a partner to do this?  For example, Core would work with 1st or 2nd, Title would work with K or 1st, SPED with 3rd, etc....?
  2. As we start to look at CAFE for next year in PK-5, how does that impact our overall specials schedule and our intervention time with Title I and/or SPED?  From what I have seen, you all have plenty of minutes in your daily schedule to make sure to get all of the components of CAFE in.
  3. Do we all have a big, laminated copy of the "The Literacy CAFE Menu"?  It would seem to be something that we need in our lesson plan book and on our walls.
  4. I would love, love, love, love, to use Google calendar with all of you.  Do I have any takers?  It seems like such an easy way (once you are trained) to organize yourself and your conferences.  I am sure Marcia would help us with it if we were interested.

4 comments:

  1. I like the partner idea. Being a single section building is hard sometimes. I would like to hear more about the google calendar. Is the CAFE approach something that Jefferson as a whole is doing for sure next year? As a member of the lit. comm. our leaders would say this is not a district expectation just a tool to use if you want to use some or all ideas. I think tha CAFE is a great approach and I am very interested in moving forward, but I feel that in order for this to be completely effective all staff needs to be on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As another Literacy Cmt. member, you are correct Mary. The district is not "mandating" that we follow the Daily 5 or CAFE model. It's simply a tool that teachers can use. I like the idea of partnering off if we are using the Daily 5/CAFE. I think many of us have experimented with it this year, and will hopefully have a smooth tranistion into using it next year if we choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the "Daily 5" were rather easy to implement. It took time at the beginning of the year to add centers, etc., but it isn't exactly rocket science. However, I think the CAFE book is a different story. I think to do this effectively we need more then the book and the appendix pages (which are nice though). We would need some training. It would be great to work with someone else, but again this is difficult because we are a single section building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can we make this "go" for TJ for next year? I am up for it for our focus if everyone is on board!

    ReplyDelete