Monday, March 14, 2011

CAFE Appendix pp.171-190

My last blog from this book! I am excited that I tried it and also know that I want to do it differently next time.  In order for a blog to really empower and move everyone contributing to it and reading it, we have to be on an RSS feed to my understanding.  I will work on that as it seems that most of you are going on, reading my post, and then posting your post.  The idea is to give each other feedback and enter your own feedback which will take some time to master I am sure.

Final thoughts:
  • This last section was one of the hardest to comment on as the strategies are some of the most "basic" in terms of attacking text.
  • I did enjoy seeing the hands-on approach of using a flyswatter, using sticky notes, colored tape, colored highlighters, rubber bands, flipping the short vowel to a long vowel, etc.
I hope you have enjoyed our blogging experience.  Thanks for joining in with me!

5 comments:

  1. I have to say students love to use sticky notes. And the students are willing to work very hard if you give them a highlighter to use. I learned some great strategies and I am excited to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this blog would be a little more efficient if perhaps there was a section for each chaper available at the start. I'm not saying a long entry from Lisa. Just a general "Chapter 7" post and then we could all use the comment section to put down our ideas and thoughts. I read fairly fast, and I feel like it would have been really nice if I could have typed my thoughts on here while reading (Kind of a Text to Text, Self, World format).
    I really like all the ideas that Boushey and Moser have given us. I would LOVE to visit a classroom that has the CAFE/Daily system up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the retell rope. I think any of these strategies would be so powerful if we did them PK-5. I certainly could use the flip camera to tape myself or a fellow teacher, but I don't feel comfortable with everyone critiquing (sp??) something I am just learning how to do. I agree with Lisa Webb's comment regarding the blog. If we are going to be using a blog in the future, it would be nice to have all of the chapters up at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right about having the blog up and running to begin with when you do a book study. Note to self for next year! This was my first blog! Thanks for bearing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the concepts that spoke to me:

    word collector is our classroom word wall
    retelling strategy....knots on a rope (language we use)
    compare and contrast...deepening listening comprehension
    words and pictures match....reading and writing and illustrating in our journals

    ReplyDelete