Monday, March 14, 2011

CAFE Appendix pp.151-171

Again, I do not have much to offer on these pages, but my mind is spinning thinking of the management side of how we could get this to work at TJ....
  1. I would love to have each of you videotape yourself with your Flipcam with a student for a writing conference.  I think it would be a great way for us all  to give each other feedback.
  2. What do I love, love, love, in this part?  The chart on p.153 that takes you from what student behaviors you are seeing to some possible strategies AND some alternative strategies!
  3. Do any of you have any of those "checks" made of wood for check for understanding? 
  4. I love the retell rope on p.157!  We need to get some of those for our PK-2 retelling  We must model for them what we want them to include (Characters, setting, problem, event 1, event 2 next, event 3 then, event 4 finally, ending which circles back to solve problem)
  5. I love that they include some of the tried and true tricks like KWL and QAR.
  6. Do any of you use the clear acetate sheets to help kids use text features?
I love walking away from a reading and having a couple of ideas we might all be able to try!

4 comments:

  1. I have not implemented any of these forms. That is my goal for next year. I am trying the word collector during the fourth quarter. Again I do reading and writing conferences, but not this structured. I know that making the changes in conferences will make my students more involved in setting goals and taking ownership for their learning. And help me become more organized. Parent/teacher conferences will be so easy with all that information recorded in the binder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using a few of the forms, and like the ideas that this book gives us! I like the "Word Collector", and use it with my 3-5 grade Title groups. I love the organization of these forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have not implemented any of these forms yet. I would like to try to do this at the end of this year or definitely have it as a goal for next year. I also like the idea of the retelling rope since this is our focus this year for data teams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we can use GoogleDocs next year to share and post these common forms for PK-5?

    ReplyDelete