Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chapter 3 deep thoughts :)

Do we have a gathering place/space in our 2nd-5th grade classrooms where all the children can sit comfortably?  It sounds like that is something to work on.....

I really agree with the idea of 99% accuracy vs. 95% accuracy for Good Fit books.  As a Spanish speaker, I always think about how important getting as close to 100% accuracy really is.  Would you want to miss even 1% if that was the final direction/step/warning/exit???

More thoughts...
Did any of you try the shoe analogy lesson?
How are you organizing "book boxes"?  Do we have enough books at each level and do you have storage systems?

I love the idea of Anchor Charts.  It makes me think of my days as an ELL teacher.  ELL kids LOVE anchor charts as I am guessing IEP kids do, too.  It is a quick visual way to fill in the gaps and connect learning to prior experiences.

Short intervals of repeated practice/Building Muscle Memory
This one was hard for me.  I can't imagine stopping everyone from reading if only one child was "done".  That would take some time for me to get used to in the classroom.

Signals and Check in
I love the idea of the chime.  What are you all currently using to bring the class to your attention?
Would it be cool or useful to have a building wide sound that we all use?  Maybe we could get some support to buy something??  I also loved the no thumbs down idea.  Stay positive...

OK, I am not sure if I buy in to the Correct Model/Incorrect Model idea.  Behavioral psychology has taught me that you don't leave a negative/non-example as their last memory.  It would make more sense to me to do Correct/Incorrect/Correct.  What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. I like the gathering space concept, unfortunately I had to give up that space this year for the new technology in my classroom. During CORE I'm still able to have a gathering space and it's great for sharing and discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did use the shoe analogy with my class, as we were sitting on the carpet. This was done before introducing "read to self" and posting in on our chart.
    Funny, I searched for chimes and found some at Hobby Lobby for $5. (The ladies at the Teacher Store laughed at me when I asked about chimes. :) Anyways, I haven't used them much, but maybe I will with another class, another grade.

    I've actually had students model the incorrect way and then show the correct way, offering teacher and class support when we see the positive behaviors. I'm using it for reading, but also for passing papers to one's neighbors, walking in hall, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read the section on correct model/incorrect model, I did see that it said there was a second part where the deep learning occurs: After having the second student demonstrate all the incorrect ways, then ask that student to model the appropriate behaviors and point out all the positive behavior being modeled. So I see this as a correct/incorrect/correct model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kindergartners have a great place to gather on the alphabet rug, we have been using the read to self piece of the daily 5 with self selected books. Next quarter I like to implement the book boxes using classroom library, Breakthrough to Literacy and school library books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The preschool students have a circle rug where we gather a lot during the day. We spend most of our time sitting on the carpet since we don't have desk. I like having the circle carpet that way when someone talks then everyone can face them. The gathering place is a great way for the preschool students to learn about body basic and not distracting their neighbor. I like the idea of the book boxes with different reading levels. I have a book center where our books are located but I would like to make sure I have different reading levels in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My room doesn't exactly have a lot of space. However, my groups are small, so it works out.

    I am currently using chimes that I purchased about 8 years ago from Pier 1 imports. Even with small groups it's a good way to get attention without talking over students. I found great music wands at: http://musicwands.com/

    These were the wands mentioned at the UNI Literacy conference last spring.

    Lisa, I had your same thought about the correct/incorrect way to model behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the lessons that helped the students understand what a good fit book is and that it is different for everyone. I agree with Renee that it is difficult for the students to pick out that good fit book, even the older kids do not do a very good job. Maybe since we are updating our library we could organize the books differently to help the students pick out the correct levels. I know some school libraries organize books according levels. (Chap. 4) I made the "I charts" with my students and I think it is a quick reference for them and me when I need to remind someone what he or she should be doing. I think making the I charts together gave the students some ownership in setting up the Daily Five.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading chaper five... I see that I am using read to someone and listen to reading during my center time in first grade. The problem I am finding is my room is small. I know I only have 10-12 kids in my room, but when all the centers are going on we can't spread out much so the noise level seems to keep getting higher and higher. I go over noise level and the procedures at each center daily. I know that Renee has gone over all the procedures with the kids and did the charts. I guess I am trying to find ways to incorporate most of the Daily 5 and keep sanity in my room. A lot of my students can't concentrate when there is a lot of noise in the room. I am currently doing listen to reading, word work, and read to someone in my room. I don't have time within the hour to incorporate the rest, although we do writing time before guided reading. Any suggestions for me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chapter 5- My previous blog was just erased when I tried to save it so I am going to be brief. I think the book does a great job of setting up the expecations (EEKK, I Read/You Read, Choral, One book) of reading to someone. If the entire school was doing this consistently I could see how this would help students share their books with fellow classmates. When my students "read to someone" they always need to be in my eyesight (when I am at the table working with another group), otherwise they will "goof around" even though they do know the expectations.

    ReplyDelete